Below you will find a roundup of all the recipes and videos from my summer project, Stupid Good Summer School! Looking for the perfect way to cook bacon? I’ve got the video right here! Perhaps you’d like a way to use up diced onions? Let’s check out this recipe. I’m working on a few new projects for the Fall but until then, check out some of my attempts at videos. If you have any suggestions for next year’s potential Summer School, leave your ideas in the comments below!
Stop. Put down the jar. It is not your friend. That jar of pasta sauce right there in your hand? It’s filled with sodium and preservatives and junk. Well, the real reason you should put the jar down is because you can totally make a better sauce with less than $3 and 30 minutes. Yes, I understand that opening a jar takes 3 seconds but hear me out. This sauce freezes really well, but also you can impress guests with homemade sauce. Pasta sauce isn’t super impressive, but if you make your own, you’re a culinary hero. Make them bring wine because it’s gonna be a hell of a spaghetti dinner!
Preparing a tomato (watch Tuesday’s video here)
Easy Marinara Sauce
- 1 28-oz can whole, peeled tomatoes
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs basil, chopped
- In a medium skillet or saute pan, heat olive oil over medium-high.
- Add onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minutes.
- Add whole can of tomatoes to the pan and turn the heat up to high. Bring to a boil, gently crushing the whole tomatoes with a wooden spoon. Don’t worry about the giant chunks, they will break down during the cooking process. Add oregano and salt.
- Turn down the heat to a simmer and cook covered for 25 minutes.
- You can continue to break down the tomatoes with a spoon, but I am a fan of a chunky sauce. You can also put the sauce in the blender for a few minutes, depending on how smooth you like it. Enjoy over fresh, hot pasta!
Stay tuned for next week’s Stupid Good Summer School!
School may be out for the summer, but it’s time to get your kitchen game onto the honor roll! ‘Stupid Good Summer School’ features a technique every Tuesday, and a recipe using that technique every Thursday.
Check out the video below for a basic video on how to make a quick Marinara Sauce. Come back Thursday for the full recipe!