Dice (v): to cut into small cubes
When I begin making dinner, it typically starts with an onion. Sweating diced onions turns into sautéed greens, or maybe taco fillings, or even marinara sauce for pasta! The great onion is a flavor enhancer to so many dishes, and learning how to properly cut it is essential.
How to Dice an Onion
Here is the simplest way to dice an onion and get the most consistent results. It looks complicated, but only requires a little bit of practice!
- Start by cutting off the root
- Next, peel off the outer layer
- Cut the onion in half lengthwise
- Place the onion on its side
- Make horizontal cuts, leaving about 1/2″ from the stem to hold the onion in place
- Do the same vertically, holding the onion together
- Cut across the top of the onion
- Hooray! Diced Onions!
School may be out for the summer, but it’s time to get your kitchen game onto the honor roll! ‘Stupid Good Summer School’ features a technique every Tuesday, and a recipe using that technique every Thursday.